Senior Software Engineer
Software engineer with a background in music and sound design. Passion for building beautiful, well tested applications with clean code and maintainable architecture. Professional and academic experience in object-oriented design, functional reactive programming, TDD and agile development process.
Senior Software Engineer (2017 - Present)
Software Engineer (2016 - 2017)
iOS representative of the cross-platform Media Streaming team. Responsibilities include:
- Technical ownership of the iOS app’s streaming and queueing logic
- Development and maintenance of cross-platform C++ player
- Third-party and Apple hardware playback integrations
- Tracking and monitoring of audio performance, interruptions and errors
- Providing input and assistance to features that might affect the playback UX
Previously part of the Listening team, working primarily on:
- Recently Played / Listening History
- Chromecast integration
- Performance measurement
Software Engineer (2013 - 2016)
- FanDuel iOS (acquired the company)
- WHO Health Stats iOS app from scratch to a tight deadline.
- Standard Life UK transactional iOS app from scratch to a tight deadline.
- Skyscanner iOS for just over a year. Responsible for adaptive UI refresh, analytics, A/B testing, price alert push notifications, independently deployable social library and built test coverage through TDD/BDD.
- Implemented automated iOS UI testing architecture building a screenshot diff library for use by the testing department.
Audio Designer & Engineer (2008 - 2012)
- Music production, sound design, editing, mastering and programming for games, film and theatre.
- Expert: Objective-C, Swift
- Frameworks / SDKs: Cocoa Touch, ReactiveCocoa, XCTest, Kiwi, KIF, CoreData, SQLite
- Tools: Xcode, AppCode, Git, Jenkins CI, Instruments, Fastlane, CMake, Danger, CocoaPods, Bundler, TestRail, IntelliJ, CLion
University of Glasgow (2012 - 2013)
MSc with Distinction in Software Development
University of Edinburgh (2009 - 2011)
MSc in Sound Design
Newcastle University (2005 - 2008)
BA with 2:1 Honours in Music
Playing guitar, listening to music, music production, turntablism, reading about politics, cycling, swimming, wakeboarding, snowboarding.
References and more detailed employment history available on request