Senior Software Engineer
Software engineer with a background in music and sound design. Passion for building beautiful, well tested applications with clean code and maintainable architecture. Professional and academic experience in object-oriented design, TDD & behaviour driven development and agile development process.
Senior Software Engineer (2017 - Present)
Software Engineer (2016 - 2017)
iOS representative of the cross-platform Media Streaming team. Responsibilities include:
- Technical ownership of the iOS app’s streaming and queueing logic
- Development and maintenance of cross-platform C++ player
- Third-party and Apple hardware playback integrations
- Tracking and monitoring of audio performance, interruptions and errors
- Providing input and assistance to features that might affect the playback UX
Previously part of the Listening team, working primarily on:
- Recently Played / Listening History
- Chromecast integration
- Performance measurement
Software Engineer (2013 - 2016)
- FanDuel iOS (acquired the company)
- WHO Health Stats iOS app from scratch to a tight deadline.
- Standard Life UK transactional iOS app from scratch to a tight deadline.
- Skyscanner iOS for just over a year. Responsible for adaptive UI refresh, analytics, A/B testing, price alert push notifications, independently deployable social library and built test coverage through TDD/BDD.
- Implemented automated iOS UI testing architecture building a screenshot diff library for use by the testing department.
Audio Designer & Engineer (2008 - 2012)
- Composed music, designed sound effects and produced, edited and mastered audio on freelance projects.
- Developed a Windows game using Unity3D / FMOD in a 10 week game development competition in Dundee.
- Expert: Objective-C, Swift
- Frameworks / SDKs: Cocoa Touch, ReactiveCocoa, XCTest, Kiwi, KIF, CoreData, SQLite
- Tools: Xcode, AppCode, Git, Jenkins CI, Instruments, Fastlane, CMake, Danger, CocoaPods, Bundler, TestRail, IntelliJ, CLion
University of Glasgow (2012 - 2013)
MSc with Distinction in Software Development ,
- MSc Development Project: Developed an iOS app for the university alongside the Estates and IT Services departments to solve the problem of students and staff navigating between buildings and teaching rooms.
University of Edinburgh (2009 - 2011)
MSc in Sound Design
- MSc Sound Design Project: First-person audio game with 5.1 audio programmed in C# using Unity3D.
Newcastle University (2005 - 2008)
BA with 2:1 Honours in Music,
Playing guitar, listening to music, music production, turntablism, reading about politics, cycling, swimming, wakeboarding, snowboarding.
References and more detailed employment history available on request